Hi, my name is Deric Brazill and this is my writings on subjects. I'm no rapscallion or anything at all. If you want to you can read my writings on subjects if you have free time. If you want to argue with me or call me names then please comment. Negative feedback is very welcome...I love dat shit.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why I don't really like Organized Religion

The first class I ever failed in High School was Catholic Religion, and down the line the first class I ever failed at University was Religion. I've never really taken it seriously, and I'm gonna try my best to explain why that is.

The high school teacher who failed me, didn't like my "style," as he called it in a letter he sent to my parents (pictured below). I'll transcribe it because it may be hard to read it,


"Wednesday Oct 20, 1999
St Thomas H.S.
Pointe Claire

Dear [Child Owner],

I have enclosed an assignment on World Religions that your son handed in for 25% of his term mark in Catholic Religion Education.

This is not the first time he has used this STYLE. Should he continue to hand in inappropriate work, his chances for passing this course will be very low.

Yours Truly,
[Teacher]"



I kept it all these years for some reason. I think it reminds me that I've always been this way. I think I offended him most with the following excerpt,


"Rumour has it that God is Jewish."  WRONG!

I don't think he liked that idea very much. I really liked the idea though...not that "God is Jewish", but I liked the idea of being "WRONG!"

I started to try and find other wrong people, I read Bill "Spaceman" Lee's book the "Wrong Stuff" and it became one of my favorites. I listened to Nomeansno's album Wrong and it became one of my favorite albums. Seeing that others chose to be WRONG!...I chose to continue that "style" for the remainder of my scholastic pursuits. It would later come back to get me in University when "RELZ 216" hit me where it hurt (as evidenced in the image below).


Let's get started now, The narrow minded nature of religious people in my opinion is more dangerous than nuclear weapons. At least the sheer destructive power of nukes is so scary that nations are deterred from using them. The worst wars of history have been over religion (or at least religion was used by rulers to convince their population to go to war), Crusades and Jihads and what have you. If it's not over religion than it's over nationalism. Things that divide us human brothas and sistas is what causes all the silly wars we fight.

Now listen up, we gotta work out our differences and get down with the global sound. We must become One Nation under a Single Groove. We must advance science so we can make life better for everyone, we must explore the universe just like we explored this rock we call Earth. A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise but a galaxy rise! Understanding the cosmos is the only answer. Religion should not stand in the way of this.

Take this example, the Ionians gave us the most advancements in science in a very small time frame and they would have continued at that pace until today but Ancient Greece developed a cancer...a cancer called Religion, Nationalism, and Greed. The data of the Great Library of Ancient Greece ceased to be. When the first woman, Hypatia, was made head of the Great Library, the Christians of Greece were so offended that a woman was chosen that they murdered her,

"...she attracted the hatred of the Christians of Alexandria, who wanted the politicians and the priests to reconcile. One day, in March AD 415, during Lent, a Christian mob of Nitrian monks led by "Peter the Reader," waylaid Hypatia's chariot as she travelled home. The monks attacked Hypatia, then stripped her naked, to humiliate her, then dragged her through the streets to the recently Christianised Caesareum church, where they killed her. The reports suggest that the mob of Christian monks flayed her body with ostraca (pot shards), and then burned her alive." 

-O'Connor, John J., Hypatia.
Hypatia


He says pot shards but I've heard it translated as sea shells or other rough objects in other texts. Wow, way to go Christians...killing a leading mind of the age because you believe humans with breasts and vaginas should serve humans without breasts and vaginas and not be allowed to advance. Good for fucking you.

We have barely discovered anything of what the universe has to offer. Why must we not advance or even lose what we know? Please don't do things like this anymore. Chill out and become one unified group of people who want to advance ourselves out of our current state. Let's work together and not against each other. We are all connected by the internet now and we are more One than we've ever been.

There's stuff you can do, if you're not good at science (like me), you can give researchers the idle time of your computer's resources by using BOINC which can gain more FLOPS if more and more people used it. It's not much, but it at least lets me feel like I am doing something.

It has cool screensavers too. I don't think I've used the word "screensaver" in a decade.

4 comments:

  1. I stopped reading after I realized you don't really have a reason to dislike religion other than to make someone else mad. This isn't politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that you proved to be a moron, your scores say so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for for your constructive comments.

    Feedback is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The start is just a preamble and a life experience I had. The brief reasons start in the paragraph which begins "Let's get started now, ..." and the paragraphs that follow.

    All I did was take the religious instruction given to me in a place of education with a grain of salt...and proudly failed because of it. No big deal...

    ReplyDelete